I'm pleased to announce my latest Pluralsight course has been released: Yeoman Fundamentals.
This is a totally code-focused course. In the beginning of the course, I focus on getting started with Yeoman - this includes installation and using basic Yeoman generators. After getting started, the primary focus on the course is building your own custom Yeoman generator. Throughout this course, starting from scratch, I build a custom Yeoman generator from start to finish.
- Introduction - This module introduces Yeoman and gives the course overview. It also shows a demo of the Yeoman generator that we will be building throughout the course.
- Using Yeoman Generators - This module introduces using Yeoman generators. It includes getting started installing Yeoman and Yeoman generators. We'll explore using generators and sub-generators.
- Creating a Yeoman Generator - This module will introduce the basics of creating a custom Yeoman generator. We will set up the environment, understand base classes, as well as explore the Yeoman Runing Context.
- Working with the File System - This module will introduce the Yeoman file system including copying static files and directories, as well as working with Yeoman templates.
- User Interactions - This module will introduce User Interactions with Yeoman. It will include using Yeoman Arguments, Options, and Prompts.
- Configuration and Dependencies - This module will explore managing Yeoman Configuration and dependencies. It will include automatic installation of npm and bower dependencies. Generator Composition will also be shown.
- Building a Sub-generator - This module will introduce how to build a Yeoman Sub-Generator. It will include setting up the folder structure and getting basic functionality working quickly. It will also show options for customizing the sub-generator.
- Testing Generators - This module will demonstrate how to test Yeoman Generators. It will show how to set up the test structure as well as show how to test file creation, file contents, and conditional options.
The following is the official description of the course:
Yeoman has established itself as the preeminent code generation framework for web developers. Yeoman provides a code generator ecosystem that enables best practices and unparalleled productivity. In this course, we'll see how to quickly get up and running with Yeoman. We will then focus on building our own custom Yeoman generator. This will include working with the Yeoman file system, user interactions, creating sub-generators, testing, and more. By the end of this course, you'll be able to start building your own custom Yeoman generators!